Subject: Re: Make problem with Amanda
To: NetBSD list for Mac68K Port <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/19/2001 11:51:00
On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 08:15:54AM -0400, josh@ssimr.com wrote:

> I went to build the latest version of Amanda http://www.amanda.org on
> NetBSD 1.5 on my Quadra 660av. make stopped with "don't know how to
> make amoverview.

try the version in pkgsrc.  it will have all the necessary NetBSD-
specific tweaks in it to get it to compile.

> PS: I'm using an eBay special tape drive that I bought for $30 bucks -
> I figure it came with $40 worth of tapes, so I figure it was a good
> deal even if it doens't work.  Is there a way to read a tape formatted
> and or used as an NT backup tape without installing SAMBA?

you should be able to read the data off the tape, but interpreting the
data read from the tape is another story...  :)  I don't think samba
will be any help -- it only handles networking, and as far as I know,
doesn't know anything about the format of microsoft backup files.

what does "dd if=/dev/rst0 | file -- -" show with a tape in the drive?

> Is there a good way to simply test out a SCSI tape drive, so I can
> tell if it works?

if you have a scratch tape, you should be able to write and read from it
with tar, cpio, or dump.  try "tar cvf /dev/rst0 /etc" and then verify
with "tar dvfC /dev/rst0 /".  depending on the drive type, you may be
able to get fancy with blocking options to speed up tape operation.