Subject: Re: Serial ports (AppleTalk protocol uses LocalTalk and EtherTalk
To: <>
From: Emile Schwarz <emile.schwarz@wanadoo.fr>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/14/2001 07:30:13
Aaron et al.,

AppleTalk is the software protocal.
LocalTalk is one kind of hardware cables + connectors
EtherTalk is another kind of hardware cables + connectors (running Ethernet
protocol inside AppleTalk)

But since newbies and historical order of apparition, nearly everyone talk
AppleTalk the three of them. On another hand, except for techies and people who
always want to use the right word for the object, it is not a problem to use
AppleTalk as a general word for LAN (or WAN) using Apple Computers (remember
that AppleTalk is implemented in Apple IIs using LocalTalk cables; I heard about
an Ethernet Card for Apple IIe / Apple IIgs but I never saw it so I don’t know
if it was commercially available)

HTH,

Emile

"Aaron J. Grier" wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 03:55:37PM -0700, Martin Joseph wrote:
> I always heard the terms defined as follows:
>
> appletalk: apple network protocol
> localtalk: appletalk over multidrop RS422
> ethertalk: appletalk over ethernet
>
> I thought 230.4k was a requirement for doing localtalk?
>
> looks like NetBSD support for localtalk was talked about a few years ago
> on tech-net: http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-net/1997/02/13/0003.html
> has the start of the thread.

A conspiracy of silence is louder than words. Dr. Winston O’ Boogie