Subject: Re: Software LocalTalk Bridge on NetBSD?
To: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
From: Michael R. Zucca <mrz5149@acm.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/13/2001 23:36:56
At 7:07 PM -0400 6/13/01, Aaron J. Grier wrote:

>I found some interesting reading on mac serial ports at
>http://www.lowendmac.com/tech/serial.shtml
>
>> Assuming that those capable could get hold of the x86 support, how
>> difficult would it be to port over?
>
>the x86 support is for ISA-based hardware, as far as I've seen -- hardly
>useful in a mac.  :)

It may not be completely useless. The real problem with doing localtalk is
that the driver has to be able to implement the wire protocol. I think the
PC localtalk hardware, much like ethernet hardware, implements all of that
in the controller chip on the card. In MacOS, all that stuff is done in
software. So I don't think the PC localtalk card code will tell us much.
Might be worth a look, though.

 Michael Zucca - mrz5149@acm.org - http://www.mdc.net/~mrz5149/
 "I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose Freewill. "
  --Rush, Freewill