Subject: Re: TCP/IP Control Panel Settings
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Theobalds <mtheobalds@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/13/2001 20:01:48
On Wednesday, June 13, 2001, at 07:36  pm, Randy Beaudreault wrote:

> I have been in the process of attempting to set up a router box with
> NetBSD and have got that set up for the most part.  What I'm wondering
> about is how to set up the TCP/IP control panel under OS 9.1 to work
> with the NetBSD box on the internal network.  I notice that if I had
> NetBSD running on this box (Dual 450 G4) that I have to have the same
> /etc/hosts file on the two.  What about when using Mac OS 9.1?  I
> notice that I have an option for a hosts file with that control panel.
> Would I use that file instead of choosing the options given by the
> TCP/IP control panel?  Thanks for any help.

You could indeed make an equivalent /etc/hosts in Mac OS 9. There is,
however, little point for the above task.

To set it up to use the NetBSD machine as a router, do the following:

	(We'll assume that your NetBSD machine has an IP of 192.168.1.1 and
your G4 192.168.1.2 and they are connected via Ethernet)

	- Set the "Connect via:" to Ethernet built-in
	- Set the configure menu to Manually.
	- Set the IP Address to 192.168.1.2
	- Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
	- Router address: 192.168.1.1 (your netbsd machine)
	- Name server addr: whatever you ISP supplied you with.

That is all adequete for it to work. Click 'yes' to saving changes.

You may need to be an 'advanced' user in the User Mode under Edit menu
to be able to do this.

All the best.

Matthew