Subject: Re: Software LocalTalk Bridge on NetBSD?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Theobalds <mtheobalds@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/12/2001 22:41:51
On Tuesday, June 12, 2001, at 07:55  pm, Nathan Raymond wrote:

> At 7:04 AM +0100 6/12/01, Matthew Theobalds wrote:
>
>> I have been browsing Apple's tech info site, and have found the
>> following tool, named LocalTalk Bridge:
>>
>> 	http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n11358
>>
>> This allows a Mac with both Ethernet and Localtalk interfaces to
>> bridge the above networks.
>>
>> I seem to remember it being mentioned that NetBSD/mac68k does not
>> support localtalk, but I wonder whether it may have something similar
>> to this.
>
> Apple's LocalTalk bridge relies upon both an active ethernet interface
> and an active LocalTalk interface.  NetBSD does not support LocalTalk
> (ironically, there is support for LocalTalk add-in cards in PCs and
> free drivers for them in x86 UN*X operating systems). Therefore, NetBSD
> cannot act as the bridge you desire.

This is what I feared, but thought I better verify.

>> Does anyone know, or would it have to be worked on?
>
> Someone would have to add LocalTalk support to NetBSD.

I wouldn't expect anyone to work madly hard just to save me some money,
of course. However, would it be a worthwhile addition to NetBSD? Do you
think the system as a whole would benefit from it?

Assuming that those capable could get hold of the x86 support, how
difficult would it be to port over?

I really have little idea or knowledge of adding hardware device support
in operating systems, so please be patient.

>> I'd be willing to do any testing, or any help with the development, as
>> if I can get this to work I can save myself lots of money on a
>> hardware localtalk bridge...
>
> The least expensive route is probably to dedicate a Mac running MacOS
> to be your bridge.

I have a few Macs, just not with spare serial ports! The only machine
with them is the NetBSD one...

Thanks for your reply, perhaps it will be possible to sort something out.

All the best.

Matthew