Subject: Re:Software LocalTalk Bridge on NetBSD?
To: Matthew Theobalds <mtheobalds@mac.com>
From: Nathan Raymond <nate@portents.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/12/2001 14:55:27
At 7:04 AM +0100 6/12/01, Matthew Theobalds wrote:

>I have been browsing Apple's tech info site, and have found the
>following tool, named LocalTalk Bridge:
>
>	http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n11358
>
>This allows a Mac with both Ethernet and Localtalk interfaces to
>bridge the above networks.
>
>I seem to remember it being mentioned that NetBSD/mac68k does not
>support localtalk, but I wonder whether it may have something
>similar to this.

Apple's LocalTalk bridge relies upon both an active ethernet
interface and an active LocalTalk interface.  NetBSD does not support
LocalTalk (ironically, there is support for LocalTalk add-in cards in
PCs and free drivers for them in x86 UN*X operating systems).
Therefore, NetBSD cannot act as the bridge you desire.

>Does anyone know, or would it have to be worked on?

Someone would have to add LocalTalk support to NetBSD.

>I'd be willing to do any testing, or any help with the development,
>as if I can get this to work I can save myself lots of money on a
>hardware localtalk bridge...

The least expensive route is probably to dedicate a Mac running MacOS
to be your bridge.

--
Nathan