Subject: Quadra 700 & IIci
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ball <ball@cyberspace.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/10/2001 15:06:40
Hello Cameron!

  CK> It has 32-bit clean ROMs, three NuBus expansion slots
    > plus lots of processor upgrades and cache options,
    > lots of space inside, and they're also easy to stack
    > :-)

It's been some years since I had the lid of one, but I seem
to remember thinking it was well layed out, and made good
use of the space available in its remarkably compact case.

  CK> I have a IIci workstation running 7.1 sitting atop my
    > NetBSD IIci.

That sounds similar to the lines I'm thinking along.  I have
a Mac LC that will be running System 7.5.5 (I would rather
run 7.1, but have been told that 7.5.5 is the easiest way to
support TCP/IP on its 10Base-T card). From there I should be
able to run terminal sessions into the Quadra (possibly
telnet, I don't know if an ssh client is available for
System 7).  There will also be one or two PC client machines
attached.

  CK> The magic numbers 0-4-0 and the magic word "Quadra"
    > cause sellers to see dollar signs. IIcis can be had
    > for a song (I buy 'em for around $5-$10 apiece fully
    > loaded).

Definite bargain!  At that price I could afford to pick up a
few and sprinkle them around the place doing odd jobs.  I
think I was quoted (US)$30 for the Quadra 700, which I want
for home.  I'll ask my supplier if he has any IIci.

  CK> Which monitor and are you using a video card?

M1299 12" RGB Display with a 15pin D connector. I doubt I'll
be adding a video card.

  CK> The Q700's video subsystem is not the same as the
    > IIci's but I'm pretty sure the same range of monitors
    > will work on it.

Thanks, that sounds good.

  CK> Yes, you can run it headless/consoleless. The FAQ
    > describes a method of connecting a paperclip or other
    > convenient lead into the video port...

Excellent, thanks.

  CK> ...and obviously you don't need anything plugged into
    > the ADB.

That wasn't obvious to me, but it's good news.  Can I make
the Mac boot straight into NetBSD?

  CK> I would strongly advise having a serial console
    > configured and on hand if you want to run in this
    > configuration, though, until you get it stable and
    > trustworthy.

I'll run a serial cable from the LC then, I have a terminal
program installed on there.

  CK> Also, since I'm wary of "shorting out" my monitor port
    > I use a Mac video-> HD15 converter on the port that I
    > have spare, which contacts the pins and has the same
    > effect.

Thanks for the suggestion, I think I've seen those in some
of my catalogues.

Regards,
  - Andy.