Subject: Help w/ powerbook 160
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars@larsshack.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/02/2001 17:13:30
Howdy all,

After getting NetBSD up and running on my dusty 7300, I thought I'd try
digging the aged PowerBook 160 out of the closet and give that a try...and
I've run into a frustrating problem:

The install kernel boots just fine.

The kernel from the NetBSD-1.5 "kern.tgz" package *and* the 05/27 snapshot
kernel (from
.../NetBSD/arch/mac68k/snapshot/current-20010526/binary/kernel/) *start*
to boot successfully, but then drop into the kernel debugger just after
the following:

  nubus0 at mainbus0
  fpu0 at mainbus0 (emulator)
  Stopped in pid 0 (swapper) at _cpu_Debugger+0x6 unlk a6
  db>

At this point, the keyboard doesn't work.  So close...

My first guess was that NetBSD simply won't boot on a system w/o an
FPU...but then, the install kernel works just fine, so there must be
something else going on.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help,

-- Lars