Subject: Re: remote booting
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/26/2001 12:45:26
>If i summise correctly, the saame reason you cant netboot a 68k mac
>is the reason why you cant boot right into bsd. I have been told
>that in non OF (open firmware) macs expect the boot device to be an
>HFS volume (same reason why you cant boot an hfs+ volume on older
>macs) the rom just wont let it. However, i have herad of  one rumor
>about a netbooting machine with some crazy test version of
>appleshare. But i dont have enough details for it to matter.

Yes, the limitation is in ROM...Apple used to sell a custom NetBoot
ROM for one of their compact Macs...unfortunately I forget which one
(vintage-wise, color classic seems about right). The ROMs were
freakin' expensive, though, and of course it's not a current Apple
part.

Mike
--
Michael G. Schabert, Mac Guy
Miranda Graphic Systems, publishers of Graphic Power