Subject: Re: remote booting
To: Emile Schwarz <emile.schwarz@wanadoo.fr>
From: John <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/24/2001 02:21:45
> >m68k Macs don't netboot.
> Unless Macintosh LC are not Mac68K, yes, Mac68K cannot NetBook !
>
> To be more clear adnd precise:
>
> I saw - in 1990 / 1991 - a Macintosh LC with an Ethernet Card doing a NetBoot on
> a Local AppleShare Server. Unfortunately, a floppy disk was used.
>
> I repeat: I saw with my eyes on a Macintosh LC placed on my desktop NetBooting
> using a floppy disk to a Local AppleShare File Server using the Macintosh LC
> Ethernet Card (everything coming from Apple).

The network boot floppy was available from Apple for years, and it
probably still is if you look hard enough. Once you get that, there's no
reason why you couldn't have an alias in the Startup Items folder to a BSD
launcher that's on an AppleTalk share using an account with no password.

And there's no reason that AppleTalk share couldn't be on the NetBSD
server that is serving up NFS mounts and X sessions.

If you'd like help finding the Network Access floppy (as I believe it was
called), please let me know.

John Klos