Subject: IIx support?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/23/2001 00:31:37
I've got a IIci which I've been running NetBSD/mac68k on for some time,
quite happily.

Recently I got a IIx dumped on me.  The mac68k ports page lists this as
supported; however, I had some trouble.

I tried just moving the disk from the IIci.  (The MacOS install on the
boot partition, I figured, might not work, but it's worth a shot.)
MacOS came up fine, and autostarted the NetBSD booter...which promptly
fell over with an alert box telling me to enable 32-bit addressing.

Fine, thought I.  I quit the booter.  I got the Control Panels window.
And I double-clicked the Memory control panel.

Nowhere is there anything about 32-bit addressing.  There's a section
about "Disk Cache", marked "Always On", with a box to change its size;
there's also a section "Virtual Memory" with On and Off buttons.
Nothing about 32-bit addressing.  (FAQ question 3.8 looks related, but
not applicable here; as far as I can tell there is no internal video on
the IIx.)

The very same disk works fine if I take it to the IIci.  Do I just have
to do a separate install of MacOS on the IIx to get it to behave?  Will
even that work? :-)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign