Subject: Re: Problems compiling a 1.5 kernel for a Mac IIsi
To: James Kliegel <jkliegel@inviso.com>
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@stockholm.ptloma.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/15/2001 22:06:19
> What would cause that kind of freezing behavior in booting a kernel that had
> compiled "successfully", or at least with no errors or warnings?
>
> Where can I find a complete list of config file options, information about
> what they do, and a "recommended settings list" for a Mac IIsi with 64M ram,
> SCSI devices (disk, cdrom, zip), mc68882 fpu, and a nubus Ethernet card?
>
> I have been using a GENERICSBC 1.5 kernel, and that is working relatively
> fine. However after the kernel swapping incident described above I started
> getting a new error messages on boot:
>
> WSCONSCFG: WSDISPLAYIO_ADDSCREEN: cannot allocate memory
> WSCONSCFG: WSDISPLAYIO_ADDSCREEN: cannot allocate memory
> WSCONSCFG: WSDISPLAYIO_ADDSCREEN: cannot allocate memory
> WSCONSCFG: WSDISPLAYIO_ADDSCREEN: cannot allocate memory
> WSCONSCFG: WSDISPLAYIO_ADDSCREEN: cannot allocate memory
> WSCONSCFG: WSMUXADD_DEVICE: invalid argument

IIsis have an issue with video memory -- if you aren't using internal video
in some manner it alters the computer's memory mapping and causes all
kinds of interesting trouble. Are you using a serial console? It doesn't
sound like you're using NuBus video since you've already got an ENet card :-)

 Cameron Kaiser, Point Loma Nazarene University * ckaiser@stockholm.ptloma.edu
-- Whatever it is, I'm against it. -- Groucho Marx ----------------------------