Subject: Re: ELF
To: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/13/2001 08:00:50
On Sun, 13 May 2001, Chuck Silvers wrote:
> On Sun, May 13, 2001 at 01:12:05AM -0500, David Rogers wrote:
> >
> > I see that NeXT68k has moved to ELF.  Does anyone know where we are with
> > that?  I remember there being issues with the booter.  Has anyone
> > successfully compiled an ELF kernel for mac68k?
>
> I've had ELF changes for mac68k ready to test for a few months now,
> all I've been waiting for is the booter.  I was talking with nigel
> a while back about switching the booter to use the loadfile() from libsa
> so that it could understand both a.out and ELF kernels, but the last I heard
> was that it wasn't working for either format.  that was a while ago,
> so I'm not sure where things stand at this point.

What about adding a post-linker step to convert the kernel to aout?
Something along the lines of "objcopy -I elf32-m68k -O
a.out-m68k-netbsd netbsd.ELF netbsd". It might even be possible to
specify "-oformat a.out-m68k-netbsd" as an argument to "ld". If
neither works, see what other magic "elf2aout" on i386 accomplishes.

Frederick