Subject: still no joy here.(newbie printing hell)
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Martin Joseph <mjoecups@home.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/10/2001 23:19:46
--Apple-Mail-1788535013-2

Ian you go! However did you cook that up by the way....?

I set lpd=NO in my /etc/rc.conf, and then I rebooted and tried your
method...

When I issued the "gs @stc800p.upp -sOutputFile-tiger.stc tiger.ps -c
quit" command  gs generated a invalidfileaccess in --.outputpage--

Doh!  I am logged in as root, and I have attempted to premake files, and
it still says that same thing....

Ideas?  I'm jonesin to print now.....

I'm gonna be on the road for three weeks, so I would love to at least
see SOMETHING before I leave...

Marty

On Thursday, May 10, 2001, at 02:14 PM, Ian Goldby wrote:

> Solved!!!! My mouse pointer was poised over the 'format disk' button,
> but I
> thought 'one last-ditch attempt...'
>
> The settings to get the Epson Stylus 740 to work with an LC475 and
> NetBSD 1.5
> are:
>
> stty 230400 raw -echo cstopb < /dev/tty01
> stty ixon ixoff < /dev/tty01
> /bin/echo -n "\r\r" > /dev/tty01
>
> The last line is necessary to persuade the printer to enter xon/xoff
> hand-shaking
> mode. This apparently won't happen if you immediately go into graphics
> mode
> without first printing some plain ASCII text (and a carriage-return
> will do).
>
> Anyway, I now have a rather smart tiger printed out, courtesy of
> GhostScript. I
> used:
>
> gs @stc500.upp -sOutputFile-tiger.stc tiger.ps -c quit
> and then as root (I haven't set up any special permissions on
> /dev/tty01)
>
> cp tiger.stc /dev/tty01
>
> Came out quickly, no problems. So my NetBSD installation lives to fight
> another
> day. Perhaps I'll even try tackling printcap and lpr soon. Now all I
> need to do
> is get that scanner working and I'll have 75% of what I installed
> NetBSD for.
>
> Ian
>
> On Tue, May 08, 2001 at 02:52:30PM -0700, Martin Joseph wrote:
>>
>> PS Thanks Ian for sharing your story...  Misery really does love
>> company.
>
> and on Mon, May 07, 2001, I wrote:
>> I asked this question a couple of times over the last
>> couple of months on this mailing list, and haven't been able to get a
>> reply.
>> I assume this is because on one else has managed to get these printers
>> working
>> either.
>>
>> I think that the conclusion has to be that you can't print to the newer
>> Epson printers with NetBSD on an old Mac. (Apparently you can use a
>> Stylus
>> Pro, because it autobauds and will work at slower rates.) For me
>> though, I
>> might as well wipe my NetBSD partition, since I can't really do
>> anything
>> useful without a printer.

--Apple-Mail-1788535013-2

Ian you go! However did you cook that up by the way....?

I set lpd=3DNO in my /etc/rc.conf, and then I rebooted and tried your
method...

-sOutputFile-tiger.stc tiger.ps -c quit" command  gs generated a
invalidfileaccess in --.outputpage--

</color>

Doh!  I am logged in as root, and I have attempted to premake files,
and it still says that same thing....

Ideas?  I'm jonesin to print now.....

I'm gonna be on the road for three weeks, so I would love to at least
see SOMETHING before I leave...

Marty

<excerpt>Solved!!!! My mouse pointer was poised over the 'format disk'
[...]

</excerpt>

<excerpt>I asked this question a couple of times over the last

couple of months on this mailing list, and haven't been able to get a
reply.

I assume this is because on one else has managed to get these printers
working

either. =20

I think that the conclusion has to be that you can't print to the newer

Epson printers with NetBSD on an old Mac. (Apparently you can use a
Stylus =20

Pro, because it autobauds and will work at slower rates.) For me
though, I =20

might as well wipe my NetBSD partition, since I can't really do
anything

useful without a printer.

</excerpt>

</excerpt>=