Subject: OT LInus torvalds, was: Re: IIfx and Quadra950
To: MacBSD <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Riccardo Mottola <zuse@libero.it>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/09/2001 19:15:21
Well,
just a flash about it then I will stop tyhe thread, i would be more happy to
have my Quadra running BSD than nowing something about linus brains. (btw,
no one gave me clues about running BSD on those machines and yes i am quite
sure that Linux68k made progress. Unfortunately myself am still at the
beginning of programming (but i will better, i promise).

Linus Torvalds criticized OS X very hard, and Darwin OS underneath. In fact
he attacked sharp the Mach kernel, saying it is a bloated piece of crap
which throws away performance.
AFAIK Mach 3 is a good thing. I also used MkLinux (if Linus just remebered
that one...) which is OK as well as MachTen. One of the bes OS's ever was
NeXT and it had Mach2.5 and OS/2 too.
What gains a double-lernel system can give I don't know. I read sadly that
it looses up to 20% performance (that was for MkLinux)
SO I don't know, but surely he was stupidly biased.

bye

ric