Subject: Re: More dumb Newbie trying to print questions...
To: Martin Joseph <mjoecups@home.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/09/2001 08:08:51
On Wed, 9 May 2001, Martin Joseph wrote:

> Now if the package library only list version binaries for netbsd 1.42
> for mac 68k, does this mean I cannot use that package on version 1.5? I
> would assume so.

I can't see why it wouldn't build on 1.5. Probably, it's just that no
one's gotten around to uploading a binary package for it. We seem have
a lot more users building their own packages from source than using
the binary packages anyway.

> Which brings be back to how to build it, which I believe Frederick has
> already answered.

I'd forgotten there was a package. The README.html file in the
package's directory has links to instructions on how to check out
pkgsrc, and build a package. If something's not clear, please ask for
clarification on tech-pkg@netbsd.org, as the experience of helping a
new user get boot-strapped may help us make the docs better.

As a matter of fact, you could probably install and run the 1.4.2
package, but I'd still recommend getting pkgsrc set up, and building
from source, just because there are so many other packages available
that you'll want to get pkgsrc eventually, and "stylewriter" looks
like an easy one to start with.

Frederick