Subject: Re: Ugh! printing? Still no action...
To: Martin Joseph <mjoecups@home.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/07/2001 18:15:06
On Mon, 7 May 2001, Martin Joseph wrote:

> Thanks for the help (again).
>
> I have made my printcap look like the one you posted Frederick.
>
> Should I now be able to lpr files to my printer?  I can't. I still get
> "unknown printer", both with lpr and lp....

Have you started "lpd"? If not, type "lpd" as root, then "lpc status"
should show

lp:
        queuing is enabled
        printing is enabled
        no entries
        printer idle

If not, look in the file "/var/log/lpd-errs" for clues. All the files
and spool directories have to exist, for one. After you correct a
problem, you can restart the daemon with "lpc restart". Once you get
it working, all you have to do is change the setting in /etc/rc.conf
to "lpd=YES" (or add it), and "lpd" will start on every boot.

> PS is there some way I could copy the console to the serial port... Like
> in DOS copy con com1:?

Well, yes. I assume you mean your session, and not _the_ _console_.
Try "script -a /dev/tty01". "tty01" is the printer port on a Mac.
Also, you'll either need to be root, or you'll need to change the
permissions on "tty01" to open it as not-root, e.g.: "chmod a+wx
/dev/tty01". Note, if the printer is not a line printer, it might
print a page of garbage everytime you type something (with any OS).

Frederick