Subject: Re: LC475 as firewall?
To: Ian Goldby <iangoldby@iangoldby.free-online.co.uk>
From: John <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/04/2001 15:24:49
> Is there any way to use an LC475 as a firewall? As far as I can see, you need
> two ethernet interfaces for a firewall, and the LC475 can only accept one.
>
> Or am I missing something?

No, you're not missing something. Generally, it's best to have two
separate ethernet ports.

However, if you're not using a connection that extends the ethernet
segment (some cable modems do), then local traffic won't be viewable by a
promiscuous mode ethernet elsewhere.

The other issue about using one ethernet is that the same traffic goes
over the network twice: it goes from the broadband connection (DSL, cable
modem) to the machine doing NAT/firewall, then back out the same card to
the local machine(s).

If it's a DSL or a slow cable modem, it'll be fine; but my current cable
modem (connected to a Quadra 650/800 with two ethernets) downloads at over
500k/sec, which would mean that doing this on one card would limit my
speeds.

Hope this helps!

John Klos