Subject: Epson 740 woes
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Ian Goldby <iangoldby@iangoldby.free-online.co.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/22/2001 15:23:12
I need some serious help getting my Epson Stylus 740 working with NetBSD
1.5 on an LC475. *Nothing* I have tried so far has resulted in anything
other than the odd few characters of junk coming out.

I've searched back in the archives and learned that all Macs support
even the fast baud rates (115200 and 230400) if the printer provides an
external clock signal, though there may be characters dropped if the printer
sends much back.

Anyway, I tried

stty -f /dev/tty01 raw 57600 crtscts

and then used lptest to send something to the printer. All I got was a
capital C-cedilla (0x80) plus a couple of other random characters. I also
tried the speeds 115200 and 230400. If I try to change the speed while
the printer is switched on, the whole of NetBSD locks up until I turn off
the printer. (I think this indicates that the printer *is* sending a
clock signal, and it's confusing NetBSD. It does the same thing in MacOS
when I turn the printer on - while it is going through its cleaning cycle,
MacOS freezes up until it has finished.)

I don't know if the 740 is capable of auto-baud detection. Unfortunately,
the user guide doesn't give any technical specifications.

Any help or suggestions will be very gratefully received. (The printer works
fine from the MacOS side.)

Thanks

Ian