Subject: Re: Slow SCSI performance on Q650
To: Stefan Jeglinski <jeglin@4pi.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/21/2001 20:50:00
On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:

> >The esp SCSI driver is fixed in -current and in the 1.5.1 branch; you can
> >find a GENERICSBC kernel built from fresh 1.5.1 ALPHA sources at
> >
> >   ftp://ftp.causeuse.org/pub/macbsd/netbsd.GENERICSBC.010314.gz
> >
> >(should be a drop-in replacement).
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> This is a crucial question for me. Essentially, I've just gotten
> 1.4.3 into a usable state (installed, openssh compiled and working so
> I can go headless and access it from my desk workstation).

Oh no. I think he meant it would be a drop-in replacement for the 1.5
kernel. That may not even be true for the next snapshot, as ipfilter
was just updated.

Just for fun, you could almost get away with dropping in a current
kernel on 1.4.3. You can't run ipfilter, ipnat or portmap (for an NFS
server), and you should kill the "update" task. You also need to
create /dev/ttyE0 for the console messages. That's what I had to do to
run a 1.5 kernel on 1.4.3. For current, you may have to do more, but
I'm not tracking current now, so I'm not sure what that would be.

> It took the cx so long to compile just the few items I needed for
> openssh that I would hate to have to do it all over again just
> because I needed to compile against 1.5.1 kernel headers. Is this an
> issue? I'm coming from a Linux POV but I suspect it's not -that-
> different for NetBSD.

If you choose to upgrade to 1.5.1 (when it's released), almost all the
binaries you've built against older systems will still run, as long as
you keep the old libraries, (that is the ones that aren't overwritten
by the new ones). When mac68k moves to ELF (probably not soon), you'll
need to move all your a.out shared libraries to under /emul/aout
before upgrading, to keep them from being overwritten by the ELF
libraries with the same names.

The only exceptions will be things like ipf and ipnat, which require
an intimate knowledge of the kernel. I think you'll find that NetBSD,
unlike Linux, has not so many binaries like that.

Even though NetBSD has had it's own ssh (derived from openssh) since
1.5, a package ssh built on 1.4.3 would certainly run under current,
if you wanted to do that.

Frederick