Subject: Re: Kernel 1.5-32 and Quadra 700 -- Problems
To: None <ender@macbsd.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/13/2001 08:38:07
At 1:26 Uhr +0100 13.3.2001, Colin Wood wrote:
>lot's of things are broken in 1.5.  personally, i'm still running some
>kind of 1.4 derivative.  unfortunately, the level of testing available for
>the 1.5 release on the mac68k port seems to have been a little less than
>usual (keep in mind that the developers' machines usually work just fine,
>we need other people to test the upcoming releases on the other machines).
>the end result is that things break when the release ships.  with luck,
>most of this will be cleaned up for the upcoming 1.5.1 bugfix release.  if
>people would try out the 1.5.1 release, it would be a big help.  of
>course, we probably need someone to volunteer to actually build some
>binaries so people can check it out....

Uhm.

While NetBSD/mac68k has a "tradition" of shipping release kernels that are
in some way unusable for some machines, I have in the meantime upgraded a
IIci (espresso), a Q700 and a IIsi to 1.5 userland + 1.5.1ALPHA kernel, and
all the machines run _at least_ as stable and perform _at least_ as well as
1.4.1.

So, "lots of things are broken in 1.5" seems to me a leetle bit exaggerated.

For the Q700, 1.5 kernels have a "performance issue" and the console panic
(pr#11000) that I filed well before the release but that took a few months
to fix. Unfortunately, the Q700 is not important enough to keep the release
process on hold until it's fixed.  ;)

Again, there is a 1.5.1 ALPHA replacement kernel on

  http://www.tangro.de/~hf/macbsd/netbsd-kern-151-alpha.tar.gz

	hauke