Subject: Re: Kernel asm compile errors
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Stephane Thiell <mbuna@undernet.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/29/2001 07:06:46

>When the hard disk worked well, it was partioning by HD SC setup 7.3.5(?),
>and newfsed by Mkfs 1.47(?), and installed by Installer(Version?).
>
>1.5Q install kernel failed in this disk(I forget messages in detail).
>B's Crew(commercial application) also required initialization for the
>disk(messages cannotupdate driver...etc), so I thought that boot
>records were wrong.
>
>Just at once, please you forget about boot records. NetBSD partion
>size(2400MB) or location(before is sd0g, this time is sd0a) is anxious
>for me.
>
>Takeshi Shibagaki
>ie9t-sbgk@asahi-net.or.jp

I have a similar "problem". Running NetBSD 1.5 well (a kernel I
made), but when installing any 1.5Q kernel (20010126), the boot works
only until the first reading on the disks. fsck says READ FAILED at
block 16K, ls do not return any error, but shows nothing, only mount,
df and reboot seems to work :)
When booting in multi-user, /etc/rc.d and /dev are not found, there
are several messages like: "No such file or directory." (but the
partitions are mounted).

Note that the 1.5Q kernel is compiling without error.
The disks are well recognized in the dmesg (no timeout or such), the
boot output is the same on 1.5Q then 1.5 until "root file system
type: ffs".

When trying to launch a 1.5-release kernel with the esp_diffs.gz
patch (1.27), it's not better:
(...)
root file system type: ffs
exec /sbin/init: error 8
init: not found
panic: no init
Stopped in init at	_cpu_Debugger+0x6:	unlk	a6

Anyway, I'm running a 1.5 without problem, but, I have a Quadra
660AV, and very interested of these esp improvments, then I'll
continue others tests.

Maybe there is an upgraded patch for the esp (for 1.5 sources)? :-)

Hope that could help,

--
Stephane Thiell