Subject: PPP/PPTP performances on MacIIci
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: R=?ISO-8859-1?B?6Q==?=mi Zara <remi_zara@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/28/2001 17:46:46
Hi,

I run NetBSD mac68k 1.5Q on a IIci with 32Meg of ram and a large disk.
I have a asante Maccon i ethernet card.
My internet conection is via ADSL (512kbs/128kbs) and requires pptp.
So I installed it, and have it run.
I can connect, but the performances seem very low.
I can't seem to be able to go faster than 10-12 kB/s.
I tested this on my G4 with OS 9.0.4 downloading a file from my ISP ftp
server. I got 40 kB/s (it's not that good, but I know I can max my
connection out).
One minute or two later, I downloaded the same file from my IIci and I got
9.5 KB/s.

PPTP uses pppd to work.
At first it launched pppd with a 38400 Bauds speed.
Thinking it was that, I modified pptp so that it calls pppd with a 1000000
Bauds speed. It changed nothing.

I had plans to use my IIci as a router/NAT, but I don't want performances to
be divided by 6 !

Anyone has an idea ? (please tell me I misconfigured somthing)
Anyine used this kind of setup ? and with PPPOE ?

Thanks,

Remi

--
Remi Zara