Subject: Re: 1.5.1 ALPHA replacement kernel for Quadra 700
To: Frederic Kayser <Frederic@kayser.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hf@Tangro.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/26/2001 10:13:06
At 01:06 26.01.01 +0100, Frederic Kayser wrote:
> > Here we go:
>
> > http://www.tangro.de/~hf/macbsd/  (item 6)
>
> > http://www.tangro.de/~hf/macbsd/netbsd-kern-151-alpha.tar.gz
>
> > is a mac68k 1.5.1ALPHA GENERICSBC kernel without sunos compat. It has the
> > pr#11000 fix and Allen's esp performance update.
>
>Finally I've installed a base 1.4.3 without a hitch, except the keymap,
>since I'm using a french keyboard (AZERTY layout).
>Where do you change keyboards settings ?

You can use "dt" (there is a pkg for it; select the kbd layout before build
or you'll end up with a Finlandish one) on the console, or X11 with an
appropriate xmodmap. The console's mapping itself is still hardcoded, afaik.

>My HD is IBM branded, a non-SBC kernel would be a better fit.

Your Q700 has a 53c96 controller and uses the esp driver. sbc vs. ncrscsi
is only relevant for Macs with an older 53c80 controller.

>btw. I also own a Quadra 950 and a LC3, and I could easily put the hands on
>a IIsi+ethernet, LCII+ethernet and a really strange beast: a LC with a
>Daystar Value40 processor card (68040@40MHz + 128KB L2 cache).
>
>I know the Quadra 950 has the DMA ADB feebleness.
>LC2, LC3 and IIsi should be OK.
>But I wonder if could put NetBSD on the 68040 upgraded LC, any reports about
>this kind of experience ?

Most likely negative ones. The LC has a distinct memory mapping (probably
again modified by the 68040 card) that is not known to the kernel.

>Is it possible to bring up (and maintain :-) a SLIP link on a direct serial
>cable ?

Sure.

>This would be great, since ethernet adapters are expensive for the
>older Macs. Beeing able to hook them on a network this way makes sense, even
>if its slow, don't you think ?

How about a 57k6 ppp link with compression?

         hauke

--
Hauke Fath                        Tangro Software Components GmbH
                                         D-69115 Heidelberg