Subject: Re: 1.5.1 ALPHA replacement kernel for Quadra 700
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Frederic Kayser <Frederic@kayser.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/26/2001 01:06:35
> Here we go:

> http://www.tangro.de/~hf/macbsd/  (item 6)

> http://www.tangro.de/~hf/macbsd/netbsd-kern-151-alpha.tar.gz

> is a mac68k 1.5.1ALPHA GENERICSBC kernel without sunos compat. It has the
> pr#11000 fix and Allen's esp performance update.

Finally I've installed a base 1.4.3 without a hitch, except the keymap,
since I'm using a french keyboard (AZERTY layout).
Where do you change keyboards settings ? Anyhow, I'll use it remotely
through telnet sessions.
My HD is IBM branded, a non-SBC kernel would be a better fit. But don't
worry about that; I'm too busy to try a new install in the next days. The
box will crunch RC5 keys using the distributed.net client for a while
(21225kkeys/s for those who care, a bit slow since it looks like it only
uses a generic 68000 core, not a 68020/30 or 68040 specific one).

Before I forget, thanks to all for suggestions and support.

btw. I also own a Quadra 950 and a LC3, and I could easily put the hands on
a IIsi+ethernet, LCII+ethernet and a really strange beast: a LC with a
Daystar Value40 processor card (68040@40MHz + 128KB L2 cache).

I know the Quadra 950 has the DMA ADB feebleness.
LC2, LC3 and IIsi should be OK.
But I wonder if could put NetBSD on the 68040 upgraded LC, any reports about
this kind of experience ?

Is it possible to bring up (and maintain :-) a SLIP link on a direct serial
cable ? This would be great, since ethernet adapters are expensive for the
older Macs. Beeing able to hook them on a network this way makes sense, even
if its slow, don't you think ?

--
Frederic@kayser.com