Subject: Pins for Serial Port?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Segfault <segfault@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/24/2001 23:30:48
Hi all,

I'm trying to make a UPS package I found for FreeBSD (which I used to use
on a PC) to work on my Mac Quadra 605.

What the program does is monitor and alter the signal level of specific
pins of a serial port connected to the UPS.

From the source, the various ports monitored or changed are RTS, DTR, RNG
and other pins (TIOCM_RTS, TIOCM_DTR and TIOCM_RNG respectively).
However, I don't know which pins are mapped to which. PCs have pins
labeled as RTS, CTS, DSR, DCD, TxD and RxD but Macs have round serial
port connectors with pins labeled as HSKo, HSKi, TxD-, RxD-, TxD+, GPi
and RxD+ instead.

Therefore, I would like to know which pins are mapped to which. For
example, if I checked the signal level of the pin "RTS", which pin on my
Mac would actually be checked?

It seemed logical to have a Mac-specific "label" for these serial pin-
outs but I couldn't seem to find declarations for them.

Perhaps some of you can shed some light on this for me...

FYI, the package is "bkpupsd" and the names for the pins used came from
/usr/include/sys/ttycom.h

Thanks in advance.

Lucas.