Subject: Re: panic at boot
To: Frederic Kayser <Frederic@kayser.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/23/2001 21:30:10
At 23:09 Uhr +0100 22.1.2001, Frederic Kayser wrote:
>this is my first attempt to install NetBSD 1.5 on a Quadra 700.
>Everything went nice until I tried the first boot.
>It displays a lot of things on the console, but just after:
>"root file system type: ffs"
>It runs into:
>"panic: cnopen: cn_tab->cndev == NODEV"

[...]

>So, what's wrong ?

The NetBSD/mac68k 1.5 release kernel has a bug where Quadra 700 internal
video is not detected correctly. Basically, the SCSI driver and the video
driver are stepping on each other's feet.

For details see pr#11000; Scott Reynolds has fixed the problem and the fix
was pulled up to the 1.5 branch.

>What can I do ?

You can either

o  run the Q700 on serial console, and build a kernel from 1.5.1 sources
(available via sup or anoncvs), or

o  get the 1.5.1 ALPHA GENERIC kernel that I am going to build and set up
for download since you will not be the last to run into this bug until
1.5.1 is shipped.  ;)

Stay tuned,

	hauke