Subject: Re: PowerBook 170 story
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Tim McNamara <timmcn@mr.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/23/2001 14:06:35
At 1:58 PM -0500 1/23/2001, James Kelly wrote:
>powerbook 170
>v 1.4
>
>Ok it's installed...finally
>
>problem is when I leave the computer alone for a while it freezes up and
>can't type into command line

Hmmm, that never happened with my 145B.  Which version of 1.4 are you
using:  1.4.1, 1.4.2 or 1.4.3?

>Also, I've installed xwindows and when I do startx I get:
>
>Can't run X-server with no screens

This is well-known and is in the FAQ, I believe.  Basically, the
system thinks that you have no attached monitor because it doesn't
explicitly support the PowerBook onboard video.  I believe I
mentioned this in my reply to your original post.  When I switched to
a IIci briefly, this problem was gone and X started just fine; same
with my Quadra 700.

>Now I wonder if upgrading to v 1.5 will fix this?
>
>anybody experience this?

I would wait for 1.5.1 before making the switch for a variety of
reasons, or you could try the -current kernel which should have most
of the fixes in there.