Subject: Re: sshd
To: Avram Dorfman <dorfman@est.org>
From: Kadari Mayson <dark3lf@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/23/2001 06:44:18
--Apple-Mail-1328857187-1
content-transfer-encoding: 7bit
content-type: text/plain;
	format=flowed;
	charset=us-ascii

No, what's happening is it tries for about 10 seconds then stops and
says, "Secure connection to 192.168.1.102 refused".  The reason I
mentioned that line in /etc/hosts is because I'm behind a firewall.

/km

On Monday, January 22, 2001, at 08:16 PM, Avram Dorfman wrote:

> Are you sure it was failing? Is it possible that it was just taking a
> veeeerrrrry long time to connect? Something you often see with BSD
> systems
> is that if you try to connect from an IP address that does not have a
> valid
> reverse name record in DNS is that the connection is established, but
> then
> it sits there for as much as 90 seconds trying to figure out your domain
> name just so it can log it somewhere, then it finally gives up & lets
> you
> in.
>
> I'm not sure what line you're talking about in /etc/hosts - that looks
> more
> like a firewall line.
>
> -Avram

content-type: text/enriched;
	charset=us-ascii

No, what's happening is it tries for about 10 seconds then stops and
192.168.1.102 refused".  The reason I mentioned that line in
/etc/hosts is because I'm behind a firewall.

</color>

</color>

<excerpt>Are you sure it was failing? Is it possible that it was just
taking a

veeeerrrrry long time to connect? Something you often see with BSD
systems

is that if you try to connect from an IP address that does not have a
valid

reverse name record in DNS is that the connection is established, but
then

it sits there for as much as 90 seconds trying to figure out your
domain

name just so it can log it somewhere, then it finally gives up & lets
you

in.

I'm not sure what line you're talking about in /etc/hosts - that looks
more

like a firewall line.

-Avram

<excerpt>Thanks Avram, I finally got it working!  This time the
problem with the

connection being refused was because I was trying to ssh into the

machine from another machine on my internal network behind the

firewall.  When I tried to ssh into the machine from the external IP,
it

worked!  Why would this be?  Would i have to define something in

/etc/hosts maybe?  Uncomment the line that says '192.168.0.0

192.255.255.255' and reboot?

thanks

/km

</excerpt></excerpt>