Subject: fdhd support, was Re:
To: None <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/22/2001 23:47:13
At 1:53 Uhr +0100 31.3.1998, Ken Nakata wrote:
>The real problem is that we don't have any
>technical documentation on the controller chip (SWIM).  The Mac Linux
>people seem to be much more active on working to support 1.4M
>diskettes, so we might be able to use their work when they succeed.

Ken,

got any pointers?

MacLinux is surely better than MacBSD in making noise. Still, I have a hard
time believing they got any further than claiming the SWIM III driver from
LinuxPPC will at some time magically morph into a SWIM mac68k driver...

I wish I had the time to hack this beast. Sigh.

>The AV Macs use a different type of controller chip which is similar
>to the ones used in Intel PCs.  I'm hoping to get the datasheet so I
>can write a driver for it, but it's not going to work for the non-AV
>Macs...

AV machinery looks different, they probably do MFM in hardware.

	hauke