Subject: Re: Seagate ST31200N
To: Jeff Wyman <wysoft@wysoft.tzo.com>
From: Tod McQuillin <devin@spamcop.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/21/2001 07:35:37
On Sun, 21 Jan 2001, Jeff Wyman wrote:

> I have one of these drives installed in my IIcx at the moment, and it
> doesn't seem to want to detect it.

I have found that some seagate drives are very finicky in old Macs.  I
had a ST31200N installed internally in a IIcx and it was extremely
sensitive to termination.

First I set the termination jumpers on the drive in various permutations
(terminator power from/to bus, drive supplies terminator power, etc)
always with termination enabled.  No matter how I set it it would not
work.

Next I connected an external drive with termination to the external scsi
port (leaving the ST31200N installed inside).  This time the system
recognised both disks!  Even with the external disk turned off, as long as
it was terminated the system saw the internal ST31200N.

Eventually I gave up on using the seagate's built-in termination and
switched to disabling the drive's termination and using a terminated
internal scsi cable (the default internal cable that comes with the Mac is
*not* terminated).

Now the system works just fine even with nothing connected to the external
bus at all.

My advice to you:  disable the drive's termination and get yourself a
pre-terminated internal cable.
--
Tod McQuillin