Subject: Re: Escape panic without reboot?
From: Matthew Theobalds <mtheobalds@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/20/2001 23:08:06
Not so long ago Colin Wood said:

> Matthew Theobalds wrote:
>> My machine seemed to hang, so I put a monitor on to have a look and I got
>> the following:
>>
>> panic: spincheck_switchcheck CPU 0 has 1 spin lock
>> Stopped in pagedaemon at _cpu_Debugger+0x6: unit a6
>>
>> I can type reboot, I know, but I was wondering if there's a way out without
>> a reboot? I don't want to lose my uptime, and it would be more convenient.
>> Anyone know?
>>
>> Last time I tried killing the pid I had no luck.
>
> first, do a 'trace' in the debugger and report the stack here.  perhaps
> someone will be able to help you figure out what went wrong in the first
> place.  what kernel are you running, btw?

Thanks for the quick response. 1.5 GENERIC.

> in general, if the kernel panic's, something is hosed and you need to
> reboot to fix things up.  i think you can type 'cont' to continue from the
> debugger, but you're probably not going to get anywhere.  you can compile
> a kernel without the debugger and the machine will reboot spontaneously if
> you want to minimize downtime.

I'd feared I may have to reboot, anyway, here's the trace:

_cpu_Debugger (supposedly-random-characters-here) +6
_panic (the-same) +60
_spinlock_switchcheck (....) +38
_mi_switch (...) +10
_ltsteep (...) +18e
_bitmgr (...) +1c8
_uvm_fault_unwire (..) +30
_uvm_swapout (..) +1c
_uvm_swapout_threads (...) +72
_uvmpl_scan (...) +3a
_uvm_pageout (..) +2c
_start_pagedaemon (...) +4
_roc_trampoline (...) +2

I wrote out by hand, so there may be spelling errors.

I haven't run a 'cont' yet, I thought I'd wait for further pointers.

Thanks very much indeed, all the best.

Matthew