Subject: README: NetBSD 1.5 setup/boot problems
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@clank.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/20/2001 12:59:43
If you are having or have had problems booting NetBSD 1.5 on any system
and you were able to work around it by unplugging your mouse, please email
me directly with as much detail as possible.  In particular, I need to
know how your boot failed.  For example:

 - The system did nothing after printing "So I sez to him, [...]"
 - The screen cleared, but did nothing else
 - Autoconfiguration messages stopped after printing "adb0" (before
   printing the type of ADB hardware)
 - The keyboard was recognized, but the system hung or panicked when
   it should have been showing the type of mouse/pointing device
 - The keyboard was recognized, but not the mouse/pointing device
 - The keyboard and mouse were both recognized, but the mouse/pointing
   device didn't correspond to what you really have
 - Any other failure to boot that you could work around by unplugging
   the mouse

At a minimum, I need to know what type of system you have, what version of
the Mac OS and the BSD/mac68k Booter you used to boot NetBSD, and which
kernel you are using.  I would strongly prefer that you include any
console output from a failed boot that you can provide, though I will do
my best with any information you are able to give me.

Please accept my personal apologies for any inconvenience this has caused
any of you.  I spent a fair amount of time fixing console bugs for the 1.5
release, but clearly I didn't catch them all before it shipped.  With your
help we can eradicate them and make NetBSD 1.5.1 truly the most advanced,
stable release of NetBSD/mac68k ever.

Thanks in advance!

--scott

PS - I can test on a variety of systems, but I most notably don't have any
systems that have a Cuda or Cuda-based ADB controller.  I always welcome
any help testing on these platforms!  Also, if anyone has one of these
systems collecting dust in the attic or in a corner somewhere, I'd gladly
give it a home. They include:

LC 475, Performa 475/476
Color Classic, Color Classic II
LC 520, LC/Performa 550, Mac TV