Subject: Re: 1.4.2 kernel in the 1.5 ftp directory
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/17/2001 09:26:39
On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Henry B. Hotz wrote:

: >Mine contains the string with 1.4.2.  But, on second thought I'd better
: >double check the booter to make sure i'm looking on  sd1 and not
: >sd0.   Thanks for your help.
:
: The kernel is distributed in two places (why?).  Are we talking about
: the kernels in the binary/sets directory or the kernels in the
: binary/kernel directory?

The binary/sets/kern.tgz is intended for use by installers, and can contain
just one kernel.  It's the machine-independent location for a "GENERIC"
kernel image.

However, the mac68k boots in a rather odd way compared to most other ports.
It needs a kernel not wrapped in a tarball.  Additionally, two variations of
GENERIC are supplied for slightly different purposes (GENERIC/GENERICSBC).
However, the GENERIC one *should* be identical to what is in kern.tgz.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/