Subject: Re: mac68k SCSI issues
To: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/16/2001 10:59:17
> Is there any chance that these problems are happening because the newest
> kernel puts the drive into sync mode, where no 68k Mac normally goes, and
> because these SCSI busses don't exhibit problems under MacOS or older
> NetBSD, they don't get fixed?

That's possible, I suppose.  That's relatively easy to test.  You can
disable sync negotiation by either compiling with flags 0xff00 (I think)
or by setting sc->sc_minsync = 0 around line 297 of esp.c (where it's
set to 1000/sc->sc_freq).

> If this is the case, maybe the FAQ and install text should stress that
> SCSI termination and cable length is more important now than before.

Not a bad idea.  SCSI termination and cable length is always important.  ;-)

> And thanks for the SCSI patches - my Q650 / Q800s are running great. To
> test them, I've rebuilt the entire source tree several times. Not a single
> problem.

That's good to hear!  You're quite welcome.

-allen

 http://www.wasabisystems.com/    Quality NetBSD CDs, Sales, Support, Service