Subject: Re: Netatalk & Network Trash Folder
From: Matthew Theobalds <mtheobalds@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/14/2001 23:38:14
Not so long ago Roger Fischer said:

> Unfortunately, the expected usage of Netatalk, is to provide a file server.
> That is... to have a folder or directory that is accessible as a Mac
> Volume.  It's not intended to make the entire unix hierarchy available to a
> Mac.
>
> What I've done is to create a subdirectory in my $HOME directory called "Mac".
> Then in "/etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.default"
> I replaced the '~' with the following:
> ~/Mac   "Home on Max"
> /usr/download "Downloads"
>
> That gives me a couple of good directories to keep stuff in without
> littering my unix filesystem with Mac finder info.

Since my main motivation for installation was to make the preview of PHP
scripts a quicker task -- rather than having my text editor open them over
(slower) FTP, I can do it via AppleTalk which is much quicker and less
hassle. I therefore only have the:

    ~/public_html

directory visible.

As Bob has suggested, I guessed there would be a way to stop it from showing
in Apache httpd listings. This I am about to try now...

All the best.

Matthew