Subject: Re: Trouble installing
To: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@stockholm.ptloma.edu>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/13/2001 15:53:17
On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 12:46:29PM -0800, Cameron Kaiser wrote:
> Quite true, but I always do a verbose untar out of habit. It saved me from
> doing too much damage to existing files many a time

Well,

% tar xvzf > untar &
% less untar

... strikes me as handier. (Just hit F in less to make it act like
tail -f.)

I don't usually bother with that dance for tar, but I definitely do
for kernel builds.

Speaking of which, time to see if this 1.5-release kernel I just
built works.

> (hmm, maybe I should make tar tvf another habit too :-).

Assuming you mean tzf (t and v don't work together), I do exactly
that, and hit ^C almost immediately. It's a good sanity check to
make sure the tarball will expand where you expect it to and won't
trounce anything important. Then you can do a tar xzf and walk away
while the disk spins without being nervous about the results.

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net