Subject: Re: Trouble installing
To: Remi Zara <remi_zara@mac.com>
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@stockholm.ptloma.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/13/2001 08:53:57
> Partitionning goes well, formatting with mkfs also.
> But when I install, at some point (wich varies with the partion layout or
> the file being installed), I get an scsi error (always the same) :
>
> Error on SCSIRead(), #5
> Error on SCSIWrite(), #5
> Error on SCSIRead(), #5
> Error on SCSIRead(), #5
> Error on SCSIWrite(), #5
> Error on SCSIRead(), #5
> pos = 0, i = 22, fs = /
> alloccgblk: can't find blk in cyl

I'm willing to bet you have a drive larger than 1GB. This happened to me
as well. Here's the install process I used for 1.4.2, which should work for
1.5 (waiting for Bob to say where it won't :-):

* Reformat the drive with mkfs. (Yes, wipe it out again.)

* Go to the Installer and run Build Devices *before* you do anything else.

* Install kern.tgz as far as it will go (it should install all the way).
  If you get an error at this point, you really *are* hosed.

* Install base.tgz as far as it will go. Then, go to the mini-shell and
  cpin base.tgz to the root directory. cpin any other .tgz files at this
  point as well (you can try installing them if you like, but I didn't
  try).

* Go to the Booter and start up NetBSD.
  You should be dumped into single user mode.

* Mount the filesystem(s) if they aren't already as read-write.

* Now, gunzip and tar xvpf those .tgzs in your root directory. This should
  finish your install the rest of the way.

I'm doing this from memory since I'm about 100 miles from my box, so YMMV.
Good luck.

 Cameron Kaiser, Point Loma Nazarene University * ckaiser@stockholm.ptloma.edu
-- Hell hath no fury like a bureaucrat scorned. -- Milton Freedman ------------