Subject: Q700 woes.... cured?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Tim McNamara <timmcn@mr.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/12/2001 15:59:19
I have gotten a lot of feedback about my problems booting my Q700
into NetBSD 1.4.2.  Many thanks for all your efforts.  I have tried
multiple kernels (1.4.3, 1.5, -current) all to no avail.  I have
checked the RAM to the best of my ability (once Allen told me what I
was doing wrong trying to get at it!); I have 4 4MB stick o' RAM plus
the soldered-on 4MB on the motherboard for 20MB.

I got one suggestion from another user that had a similar problem
when his mouse was attached, so this afternoon- that being the one
suggestion I hadn't tried- I gave it a shot.  Booted right up.  Huh.
Seems like the mouse is to blame, or at least something in the adb
path between the CPU and the mouse (I suppose it could be a problem
in the keyboard's adb path or a problem with the mouse).  Anyone else
seen this sort of thing?  Does anyone know if it's likely to be all
mouses (I don't have another one to test right now) or just this one?
It's an Apple mouse, one of the Mac II era "Apple Desktop Bus
Mouse"s.  Garden variety platinum colored thing that I pilfered from
the Classic II sitting in the corner.