Subject: Re: Changing default EDITOR
To: Matthew Theobalds <mtheobalds@mac.com>
From: Daniel Parks <danielp@reed.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/11/2001 16:48:11
At 7:16 PM +0000 1/11/2001, Matthew Theobalds wrote:
>I am keen to change the default editor from vi to nano but for some reason
>cannot find any way to do it. Editing the .profile from EDITOR=vi to
>EDITOR=nano doesn't work; and I cannot find documentation anywhere else.

That's odd. I have my EDITOR set to pico:
export EDITOR="/usr/pkg/bin/pico -bewz"
I don't set VISUAL anywhere, and I have had no problems with it.
crontab -e (is that the right option?) works fine.

Does it just edit it in vi, or does it give you an error?

Maybe you forgot to export it, or there is another file sourced after
you set EDITOR...

Daniel