Subject: Re: help- can't boot Quadra 700 into 1.4.2
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Bradley R. Smith <brad5903@pobox.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/09/2001 07:35:06
I have a Quadra 700 with 20MB of RAM also and it boots 1.4.2 from an
external drive without any problems.
Does your root partition fit entirely within the first 1 GB of your
drive? As far as I know the Mac OS side tools, including the booter,
won't work past the first 1 gig. That wouldn't explain why the same
root partition works on the other boxes though.
You could try downloading a new copy of the kernel and maybe storing
it on the internal Mac OS drive and booting from there. The booter has
options to do that. That's just a shot in the dark but it would avoid
any problems with your existing partition and kernel (maybe one has
been corrupted slightly) or the external drive.
Which version of the booter are you using?

BTW, MacOS 7.0.1 will boot Q700's. That's what I use. It takes less
time to install.