Subject: help- can't boot Quadra 700 into 1.4.2
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Tim McNamara <timmcn@mr.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/08/2001 22:40:53
I've booted into 1.4.2 off of an external hard drive with my
PowerBook 145B and my wife's IIci without difficulty.  I acquired a
Quadra 700 with 20 MB RAM, attached the same external drive to the
SCSI port, and have tried to boot several times without success.  The
booter goes through its routine, the boot process starts, the screen
goes black and the process stops cold.  I am using a boot disk with
System 7.5.3 (7.1 won't boot the computer) and the Booter renamed as
Finder.  The Quadra's internal hard drive has OS 8.1 installed and
the external drive, with 2GBs of NetBSD partitions positioned at the
start of the drive followed by a 2GB  Mac OS partition, has  Mac OS
7.6.1.  I can't think that there would be any problem with the files
on the Mac partitions since the boot process doesn't even get into
probing the hardware.

FWIW the internal drive is sd0 and the external drive is sd1 and is
properly specified in the Booter (like I said, this same drive worked
fine for booting into NetBSD on two other computers).  But the kernel
doesn't even get started on the boot process.

The log reads:

Logging to bootlog2
Booting...transparent = 1
MID_M68K executable: entry 0x2e00
1392708+74448+176500+177785
Attempting to kill all running programs...
Changing monitor settings...
   Bye-bye...
      So I sez to him... the real way
      that it should be done is to...

The screen goes black and the boot process dies without further ado.

I couldn't find anything like it in the FAQ, and the Q700 is supposed
to be a supported machine.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!