Subject: Re: ELF progress
To: David Rogers <drogers@halo7.alphabetas.net>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/07/2001 09:57:33
> I was wondering if there had been any progress towards moving to ELF
> recently.  I'd love to offer my help to this cause.
>
> What needs to be done for this to happen?  Any major code changes?  or
> just rebuilding the sources according to the NetBSD-ELF FAQ?

There are at least three other steps:

	* Update the assembly (.s and inline asm) to a slightly
	  different syntax that's compatible with the ELF assembler.

	* Make sure that there are no dependancies on the structure
	  packing:
		a.out: struct { short a; long b; } is 6 bytes
			and &b is struct base + 2.
		ELF: struct { short a; long b; } is 8 bytes
			and &b is struct base + 4.
	  (IIRC ;-)

	* The booter needs to understand and load an ELF kernel.  This
	  can probably be avoided in the short term by using objcopy to
	  convert ELF -> a.out just for booting.

I think that's it.

-allen

 http://www.wasabisystems.com/    Quality NetBSD CDs, Sales, Support, Service