Subject: Re: Q650 SCSI speed with new kernel
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Daniel Parks <danielp@reed.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/06/2001 12:51:09
At 10:02 AM -0600 1/6/2001, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>1.5.1_ALPHA isn't *current*. 1.5.1_ALPHA would be cut from the latest
>sources on the netbsd-1-5 release branch. Current is the main trunk,
>wherein all the new stuff appears first. Then, after testing, it's
>pulled up to the release branch(es). Sup of "current" is supposed to
>switch to current (really) pretty soon. When that happens, you'll have
>to change your collection to still get "netbsd-1-5".

OK, Obviously I didn't realize that. If I understand you correctly,
1.5.1_ALPHA is sort of a snapshot of current... except it's actually
a branch which you're continuously updating with patches from
current. After a bit of thought it makes sense...

So "current" will soon actually be current?

>Were you using "anoncvs", instead of "sup", you could switch your
>/syssrc/sys directories from current, with "cvs update -A", to
>NetBSD-1.5.x_ALPHA, via "cvs update -rnetbsd-1-5", at will.

I don't know anything about CVS, I'm only familiar with RCS. Is there
something like a cvsintro man page?

>For now, if you want to test the changes without dealing (too much)
>with current, try downloading just the kernel from the latest
>snapshot:
>
>ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/binary/kernel/netbsd.GENERIC-20.tgz

I'll try this, and try patching 1.5.1_ALPHA.

Thanks,
Daniel