Subject: Difficulty bringing up netbsd 1.5 on a Quadra 840AV
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: David Henderson <David.G.Henderson@technologist.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/05/2001 06:00:19
Hello,

I'm a newbie to NetBSD; I'm attempting an install on a 56 megbyte Quadra
840AV with a single 1 GB drive. I've installed MkLinux & LinuxPPC on my
Motorola StarMax so I'm not completely ignorant of the breed.

I burned a CD from your 1.5 release set, and have had no trouble
understanding the installation directions.

I used pdisk68k to sacrifice a HFS parition on the drive and to rearrange
the partitions so the NetBSD paritions are first. Partition 4 is Root&Usr
at 490 megabytes. Parition 5 is Swap at 103 megabytes. Partition 6 is Usr
(to be mounted as /home) at 103 megabytes. I have no personal information
on any of these paritions and can and will run Mkfs again if need be.

I ran into the Error on SCSIRead() #5 difficulty mentioned in the FAQ
section 4.12 when installing one of the tarballs. Games , I think. I had
gotten far enough to boot into single user mode and did the rest of the
install from the console. I know I installed on top of

When I went to try single user mode, I found that file /etc/ttys had a line
that referred to ttyE0, not ttye0. I changed the file to agree with whats
in FAQ 10.14 for both ttye0 and tty00.

To boot, I'm running MacOS 7.6.1 with minimal extensions, 13" monitor set
to B&W, 640x480, coming up in single user mode.

The kernel identifies itself as NetBSD 1.5 (GENERIC) #0: Sun Nov 19 ...

After a bunch of status messages, I get to the point of getting the following:
root file system type: ffs

Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh:

I have done this before without a proper shutdown, so I run fsck and fix
the file system: fsck -f and answer y to everything. Running fsck again
says the filesystem is clean.

After typing #exit to go into single user mode I get the following messages:
swapctl: adding /dev/sd0b as swap device at priority 0
Setting tty flags.

The system just halts. If I do it soon enough, I can get into the debugger
by hitting Command-Power. I then get the following:

Panic switch: PC is 0x3766.
Stopped at _cpu_Debugger+0x6:   unlk a6

If I wait too long, I can't get into the debugger and the keyboard is dead.
Hitting the power switch at this point caused me to have to run fsck.

Do you have any suggestions as to where I go from here?

Thanks in advance,

David Henderson