Subject: Re: Is the PPP performance a hardware issue perhaps?
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/03/2001 19:19:58
> Since Zilog is no longer in existence while AMD is blowing Intel out
> of the water I'd consider that a pretty understandable mistake.  I
> gather AMD picked up the part when Zilog vanished.

Heh.  Actually, AMD cloned or bought rights to a number of different
cores.  A databook that I have has the information on their versions
of the NCR 53c9x and Z8530.  They also made a combo chip with both the
5380 and 8530 on it, and Apple used that in some systems.  Sort of like
the VIA, they eventually incorporated some of these cores into larger,
centralized ASICs to save some money.

-allen

 http://www.wasabisystems.com/    Quality NetBSD CDs, Sales, Support, Service