Subject: Re: Updated Installer app available
To: Lee Reynolds <leebreynolds@yahoo.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/03/2001 18:00:44
Lee Reynolds wrote:

>> I've put the new installer, version 1.1h, at
>>
>http://www.cactus.org/~huang/netbsd/Installer_1.1h.sea.hqx
>>
>> I didn't extensively test it, but it works for me,
>> and I didn't change
>> much :) It now creates ttyE0, ttyEcfg, wsmouse[0-3],
>> wskbd[0-3],
>> scsibus[01], random, and urandom (in addition to the
>> devices it used to
>> create).
>>
>> The source is at
>>
>http://www.cactus.org/~huang/netbsd/Installer_1.1h.src.sea.bin
>> if anyone
>> wants to put it up on ftp.netbsd.org.
>
>Has anyone with the necessary understanding of ffs
>taken a look at why the installer likes to fail on
>larger hard drives?

Not that I know of. The Installer is built and maintained with Think "C"
which is pretty old and obselete.  We're so close to having the sysinst
solution for doing system installations that it seems like wasted effort
to do any more hacking on Mkfs or the Installer.  The changes Dave make
are a good example of why it would be nice to get rid of both of these
MacOS applications -- its hard to keep them up-to-date with NetBSD.  In
fact the FFS that is used is an older version (BSD4.2), but the default
FFS used in NetBSD is now BSD4.3 which is what sysinst creates.

-bob