Subject: New rc.d directory in 1.5
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Roger Fischer <rogerf1@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/28/2000 13:48:54
I'm just trying to understand the new /etc/rc.d directory in 1.5.
I've read the man pages, but I'm still a little fuzzy on the concept.

As I understand it, the rc.d directory contains scripts for starting and
stopping services on boot and shutdown.  After putting a scripts there,
Do I have to make an entry anywhere else to say that it's there, or does
it get executed just by the fact of being there?

Also, according to the man page, the script should accept arguments of
'start', 'stop', 'restart', etc...

I just installed the netatalk-asun package.  It installed a netatalk.sh
script into the /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d directory.  I assume that if I leave
it here, it will not get executed at startup.  Should I copy it to the
/etc/rc.d directory, or just call it from /etc/rc.local?  Also, that
scripts doesn't accept the start, stop, restart arguments.  it just fires
up the Appletalk daemons.

It's easy for me to make a call to the script, but I'd like to do it
right.

Thanks,
Roger