Subject: Re: Daystar 50MHz '030 goes slower?? (1.4.2)
To: Lee Reynolds <leebreynolds@yahoo.com>
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@stockholm.ptloma.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/28/2000 12:39:46
> > The Daystar card does have an FPU. I tested this
> > twice just to make sure.
> > What gives? The DayStar control panel sees the card
> > fine, so it's working,
> > and a CPU test in MacOS comes up with 50MHz '030. So
> > what happened?

> A little cache makes a BIG difference

But that's the funny part -- I didn't have the 32K IIci cache in the old
unit either. It went bad after about three days uptime (which was why
I mailed that frantic letter to the list about NetBSD going bananas, it
turned out to be that -- thanks, Avi). Even without the cache it's still
faster without the Daystar than with it, or at least that's what the
dhrystone benchmark seems to think.

With the Daystar cache turned on, the kernel definitely booted faster. Very
quickly, in fact. But it hung when it came time to fsck and actually start
doing anything, so I had to turn it off.

 Cameron Kaiser, Point Loma Nazarene University * ckaiser@stockholm.ptloma.edu
-- I like work. I could watch people doing work for hours. --------------------