Subject: Re: Sound on a Centris 650 (v1.5)?
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/28/2000 01:10:23
Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Lukas Mol wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Just have my first experience with the mac68k port. I installed using the
> > MacOS way... Took a while, had the ttyE0 problem, fixed that, configured
> > some stuff, etcetera...
> > Now: I understand the Apple Sound Chip (ASC) is supported. When I expect a
> > beep, I hear however a click/tick sound. What do I need to do to get sound
> > working?
> > Some more thoughts/info:
> > - Does this mean I actually have the EASC? Is it somehow supported?
>
> Yes, and not really. Colin's got the bell to work (see PR 9054,
> <http://www.NetBSD.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=9054>), but
> we're evidently a long way from plugging in properly to the machine
> independent code (/dev/audio, audioplay, audioctl, mixerctl).

Well, actually, I keep meaning to work on this.  I've had a somewhat
scratchy /dev/audio working for some time now, but I haven't taken the
time to get it quite cleaned up yet.  With luck, I'll have something
people can play with in the next few months.  I've only got the EASC
working at the moment, although I'm hoping for some kind of breakthru on
the ASC.  The Singer is another matter entirely.  I can get it to play
thru the sounds in the ROM, but that's not really useful :-)

Later.

Colin